These are a delicious snack (the savory answer to granola) and are an amazing topping for salads or soups. We just eat them by the handful! Nutritional yeast, which can be found in health food stores, gives them a cheese-like flavor without the addition of dairy. It’s a deactivated form of baker’s yeast, which adds great nutritional value, but it won’t make the crunchies rise. The chipotle chili powder (smoked jalapeno peppers) adds some lovely heat and smokiness to a chilly winter day.
1 cup rolled oats (old fashioned)
1 cup brown rice cereal (or Rice Krispies)
1/4 cup hulled raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup hulled raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
4 teaspoons za’atar
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, or more to taste
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 egg white
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix oats, rice cereal, seeds, za’atar, nutritional yeast, salt, oregano, turmeric and chipotle powder.
3. In a small bowl, whisk oil and egg white. Once combined, add oil mixture into the cereal mixture and distribute evenly with a spatula.
4. Place mixture in prepared sheet spreading well (one layer if possible).
5. Bake for 10 minutes and stir a bit and then bake for 10 more minutes.
Let cool and enjoy.
Read full article titled "Oats, Thinking out of the Breakfast Bowl" here.