For many of us, the coffee shop stop is a daily ritual, and I do miss the custom during Pesach. These meringues are the product of my morning coffee nostalgia, and I have to say, that with them, there’s nothing to yearn for!
1. Add the cinnamon and coffee to the meringue right after mixing in the vinegar (step 5 in master recipe).
2. Once incorporated, spoon meringue onto prepared baking sheets and press down a bit with the spoon. The shape is rustic and uneven, but that’s the beauty of these meringues! Make them whatever size you want them to be, but leave 1 inch in between each “cloud.”
3. Top each meringue with about 1 tablespoon of sliced almonds, pressing gently so they stick.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, turn heat off and let cool completely in oven.
5. Serve or freeze in an airtight container.
-Turn them into mocha meringue clouds by adding 1 tablespoon sifted unsweetened cocoa powder instead of the cinnamon.
-Substitute almonds for toasted chopped hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachios or pecans
-Gently fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips before spooning them onto the baking sheet.
Read full Meringue Article here.