One day, as I was making cabbage and noodles, (I really like them) I was thinking to myself that I haven’t ever seen a recipe for a cabbage and noodle kugel. Well, here it is! Ladies and gentlemen, once again, a new twist on an old beloved classic...
I don’t think it ever took me this many tries to perfect a kugel recipe. I hope you really like it.
5 Tbsp oil
1 lb shredded green cabbage
3 leeks OR 2 Vidalia onions, finely chopped
1 tsp sugar
1 12 oz. package egg noodles, fine or medium width
1 tsp oil
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2/3 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 granny smith apples grated (optional)
1. In a very large, shallow pot, sauté the leeks/onions and cabbage in 5 Tbsp oil, for about 45 minutes over a low flame. Sprinkle in the sugar half way through cooking, and mix so that it all caramelizes evenly.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
3. Heat a pot of boiling water. Cook the noodles for about 5 minutes. Strain and rinse under cold water, and immediately toss with 1 tsp of oil to prevent noodles from sticking together.
4. In a large bowl, place the eggs, yolk, sugar, breadcrumbs, oil, salt and white pepper. Mix, then add noodles and sautéed cabbage and leek.
5. Grease 2 9" pans or 12 cupcake tins (you may need more). Pour in the noodle mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees, and bake 30 minutes more for muffins, or 45 minutes for 9” rounds.