June 24, 2012
1 frozen pie crust, defrosted
2 Tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lb (450 grams) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
2–3 Tbsp flour
3/4 cup cottage cheese
2 slices yellow cheese, cut into pieces
salt and pepper, to taste
cornflakes or breadcrumbs, to coat
1. Bake the pie crust in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C), for 10 minutes.
2. To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium flame and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion turns golden brown. Add the defrosted spinach and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Turn off the flame and add the flour, stirring until it is well incorporated. Add the eggs and cheeses and season to taste. Transfer the spinach mixture into the baked pie crust. Once it reaches just until the top, stop! (You may have some extra filling; you can bake separately or use it for a different recipe.)
4. Sprinkle crumbs to cover the surface of the pie.
5. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 45 minutes, or until ready.
6. Cool slightly and serve warm.
Leah Schapira is the co-founder of CookKosher.com, a rapidly growing online kosher recipe exchange. A finicky eater as a child, her cooking education began in her mother’s kitchen at age eight. At 21, she spearheaded a community cookbook fundraiser, with sales of over 12,000 copies. A self-taught cook and seasoned international traveler, she has been the food editor for two popular Jewish weekly magazines. Leah shares her love of cooking through articles, through her website, through cooking demos and classes, and now through her latest creation — Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking. She resides in New Jersey with her husband and children.
This recipe appeared in Mishpacha Magazine, Issue 144.