June 03, 2012
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 cups white spelt, white whole wheat, or if you must, regular flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 Tsp. salt
Sauce and Toppings:
(this could not be easier)
1 jar marinara sauce ( I use " target="_blank">Gefen's), or pizza sauce
any veggies you like-- see below
shredded cheese if you do not want it to be vegan (I totally understand if you don't!)
spices (pizza spice or basil/oregano, all optional)
These are the veggies I used in this particular picture:
sliced purple onion, sliced red pepper, fresh corn kernels scraped directly off the cob and onto the awaiting saucy pizza dough.
olives (big fave in our house, just whole pitted green guys), sliced zucchini, chopped broccoli,
sliced canned or fresh mushrooms, chopped spinach, sliced cherry tomatoes... whatever veggies you like.
1. Combine yeast and water, stir till dissolved. Wait till yeast bubbles, then add flour, oil, and salt, and stir. Knead by hand 3-5 mins.
2. Spray a bowl with Pam, put dough inside, cover with plastic wrap (not tightly), and allow to rise till doubled in size, 1-2 hours.
(**NOTE: Sometimes I, like the Jews in Egypt, do not have time to let the dough rise. When these occasions occur, I let the dough rise however long I can spare, even as little as 20 minutes, and then roll it out on parchment as thin as possible, put on the toppings, and bake. The only difference is that if you do not wait, you will only have enough dough for ONE pizza, and the dough will be "deep dish," i.e., thicker--also yummmm.)
3. Next, divide the dough in half and roll each half AS THIN AS POSSIBLE (I also like to pretend I am an Italian pizza guy and throw it in the air a few times for good measure, I swear it makes it super thin!) on two sheets of parchment paper, then place the doughs on parchment onto two metal baking sheets.
4. Heat the oven to 425, and place the oven rack in the lowest position.
5. Spread on the sauce, (sprinkle cheese if using,) throw on the veg. I like to add some pizza spice for extra zing and good looks.
6. Place pans in oven and bake until cheese is bubbly/ veggies are nice and roasted, about 10-12 minutes.