March 06, 2012
3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3⁄4 cup cold water
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
6 cups all-purpose flour
flour for dipping
apricot butter or prune butter
1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment or foil.
2. Either by hand or in a mixer combine the oil, egg, vanilla, water, sugar, baking powder, and flour. Knead until it forms a soft dough. Roll the dough out into a very thin layer.
3. Dip the rim of a 3- to 4-inch cup or glass in flour. Use the glass like a cookie cutter to cut out circles. Re-roll the scraps of dough and reuse.
4. In the center of each circle, drop a teaspoon of apricot butter or prune butter. Shape into a triangle by folding 2 sides of the circle to the center and pinch together at the corners. Fold remaining side up to the center and pinch together at the corners.
5. Place hamantaschen 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar. Make sure corners are tightly pinched so they don’t open during baking.
6. Bake 20 minutes. Can be made in advance and frozen.