February 26, 2013
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2-1/2 tsp dried active yeast
2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried mustard
2 cups (approx) all purpose flour
3 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp Pretzel salt
1. In large bowl, stir 1 tbsp of sugar into 1 cup warm water. Sprinkle yeast over. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
2. Stir oil into yeast mixture. Stir in bread flour, salt and mustard. Stir in enough of all purpose flour until soft dough forms. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Sprinkling surface with extra floured as needed to prevent dough from sticking, knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and no longer sticky. Cover with plastic, and let rise for 30 minutes.
3. Cut dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into an 18-inch rope. Form a U shape with 1 rope, then twist ends together twice. Fold twisted portion backward along center of U shape to form a circle; gently press ends of rope onto dough to seal. Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ropes. Cover ropes and let rise for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add baking soda and remaining tablespoon of sugar. Boil pretzels in batches until puffed and slightly shiny, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to wire racks; drain well. Return pretzels to baking sheet; sprinkle with pretzel salt
6. Bake in centre of preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.