December 18, 2012
2 onions, finely diced
1 Tbsp oil
4 zucchini, cut into cubes (about 1/2")
2 tsp soy sauce
2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp oil
2 egg whites
1 heaping Tbsp low fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1. Sauté the onions over a low heat with 1 Tbsp of oil for about 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally; onions should brown but not burn. Add 1 Tbsp of water if onions are cooking too quickly.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to roast at 400 degrees.
3. Mix the zucchini, soy sauce, garlic and oil in a bowl and mix to combine well. Spread onto a large cookie sheet that has been covered in parchment paper. Roast for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Set oven to 350 degrees.
4. Combine all the ingredients for the egg mixture in a large bowl. Add onions and roasted zucchini and mix. Spoon into well greased muffin tins, and bake for 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
5. Cool for 5 minutes, then use a knife to cut around the edges of the muffins and remove from pan. Let cool on a plate. Refrigerate if not using right away.
Best served warmed or at room temperature.