September 11, 2012
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup liquid honey
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup cola (diet or regular)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 12-cup fluted tube pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon until blended, about 10 seconds. Empty into another bowl.
3. Process brown sugar and eggs for 30 seconds. Do not insert pusher in feed tube. Add honey and oil; process 1 1/2 minutes longer. Remove cover and add dry ingredients. Pour cola on top. Process with 4 or 5 quick on/off pulses, just until batter is blended. Do not overprocess.
4. Immediately remove processor bowl from base and pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake for about 1 hour, until cake tests done. Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan. This cake keeps very well.
- Replace cola with strong tea, coffee, orange juice or club soda.
- For a darker color, add 1 or 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder with dry ingredients.
- If desired, add ½ cup raisins or chopped almonds to batter. To prevent raisins or almonds from sinking to the bottom of the cake, combine them with 1/4 cup of the flour called for in the recipe. Process with quick on/off pulses. (Do this before mixing up the batter to save on cleanup.)