Baked apples remind me of my grandmother. Her signature dessert were these chocolate apples. Here is another version that works great, and is made even more simple by the use of my Crispy Crumb topping. I prefer green apples for their tartness. They also keep their shape when baked.
- apples - 7, peeled
- raisins - 1 cup
- cinnamon - 1 tbsp
- pecan pieces - 1 cup
- maple syrup - 6 tbsp
- Crispy Crumb Streusel Topping - 1 bag
- Preheat oven to 350. Peel and core 6 apples, making sure to core only three quarters of the way down, and leaving the bottoms intact.
- Chop one apple finely. Place in a bowl, and add raisins, cinnamon and pecans. Mix to combine.
- Fill the centers of each apple with the mixture. Place into a baking dish. Drizzle a tablespoon of maple syrup over each one.
note: can be made ahead and rewarmed at 250 for about 15 minutes
- Bake for 1/2 hour, but watch carefully to see that they don't fall apart.