- milk or soy milk - 1 cup, at room temp
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- all-purpose flour - 2-1/4 cups
- baking powder - 1-1/2 tsp
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- packed light brown sugar - 2/3 cup
- vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- large egg - 1, at room temperature
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- frozen cranberries - 1 cup, coarsely chopped (or blueberries or chopped pecans)
- flax seeds - 2 tbsp
- sunflower seeds - 2 tbsp
- flax seeds - 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray or grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Stir together the milk and lemon juice; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soured milk, brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until well combined
- Pour the wet mixture over the flour mixture and gently stir the two mixtures together, adding the cranberries, flax seeds and sunflower seeds halfway through.
- Divide the batter evenly among 10 prepared muffin cups. Evenly sprinkle the sunflower and flax seeds over the batter. Pour water into the empty muffin cups
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 23 minutes. Cool the muffins in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan, transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.