This was a true winner. How do I determine that a salad is a winner? When my kids ask for seconds, or even thirds. Make a double portion of meat and you will have a different meal of tacos to serve during the week.
- ground chicken or beef - 1 lb (all beef or all chicken is okay too)
- chili powder - 1 tbsp
- garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- onion powder - 1/4 tsp
- red-pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- paprika - 1/2 tsp
- cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- black pepper - 1 tsp
- red or green leaf lettuce - 1 head, shredded
- red, yellow, and orange peppers - 1/2 cup or each, cut into strips
- taco-flavored chips - 1 1/2 cups
- salsa - 1 cup, mixed with 1/2 cup mayonnaise
Spray a large frying pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add meat and spices to the pan and brown over medium heat for 25–30 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks, until meat has changed color and is cooked through.
Layer salad in a bowl or on individual plates in this order: lettuce, meat, vegetables, taco chips, and dressing.