Not your typical zucchini muffin. These are a cross between a soufflé and a muffin, and have the perfect balance between sweet and savory. Fabulous as a side dish or a snack. Tastes amazing served room temperature or even straight from the fridge. That’s how I like it! Thanks, Rachel K.
- zucchini - 3 large, finely shredded
- eggs - 6
- low fat mayonnaise - 1/2 cup, preferably from olive oil
- oil - 2 tbsp
- applesauce - 2 tbsp
- salt - 1/2 tbsp
- turbinado sugar - 1/4 cup
- fine bread crumbs - 3/4 cup
- ground almonds - 1/4 cup
- dried cranberries - 1/3 cup
- baking powder - 1/2 tbsp
- whole wheat pastry flour - 1/3 cup (sub 1 tbsp ground flax seed or wheat germ)
- slivered or sliced almonds - for topping
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Drain zucchini and place in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except almonds, and mix until well combined. Pour into muffin tins lined with cupcake holders sprayed with baking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, then sprinkle almonds on top and continue baking for another 20 minutes or until golden. These muffins freeze very well.
Note: Zucchini does not have to be peeled. Scrub very well then shred.