- tomatoes - 3 large, peeled and cored
- onions - 3 large, peeled and cored
- basil leaves - 12 fresh
- extra virgin olive oil - 3-4 cups
- garlic cloves - 6, peeled
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- fresh basil leaves - 2-3, julienned for garnish
- artisan bread - 1 loaf, sliced and toasted
1. Heat oven to 375ºF. Line the bottom of a large ovenproof dish with basil leaves.
2. Place tomatoes and onions core side down in the dish so they are snug but not touching.
3. Pour enough olive oil to cover tomatoes and onions halfway up its sides. Add and submerge garlic cloves in the oil.
4. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tomatoes and onions are soft.
5. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and freshly sliced basil.
6. Slice and toast the bread and serve with the warm tomatoes and onions.