I’ve loved candy popcorn since I’m a kid… seems I haven’t grown up. What’s especially fun is that I can usually match the colors of my sweet table, and flavor them accordingly, so it always looks new and exciting. It’s not very difficult to make, just a bit time consuming, but you can make it up to two weeks in advance and keep it sealed in an airtight container (or extra large Ziploc bag).
- plained popped popcorn - 6 qt (24 cups)
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- koolaid powder - 2 single serve packets
- sugar - 2 cups
- light corn syrup - 1 cup
- butter or margarine - 2/3 cup
1. Preheat oven to 225F. Place popcorn in a large roaster pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and kool aid. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring to a boil and let cook for 6 minutes.
4. Remove pot from heat and add baking soda mixture. Be careful because the mixture will bubble up. Mix this syrup with popcorn to coat well, in the pan.
5. Place pan in oven and stir well after baking for 10 minutes. Repeat 3 times (for a total of 40 minutes baking time).
6. Remove from oven, and when cool, break into small pieces.
Kool aid powder will be the color of the image of the pitcher on the packet.
If you cannot find kool aid in the colors you would like, substitute with food coloring and extracts. I prefer gel paste colors. Add these after you have added the baking soda, and stir in very well.
I used orange coloring with orange extract and lemon coloring with lemon extract.