I like to use the following list of ingredients as a basis for a great pasta dish. I interchange them all the time, using either goat cheese, feta cheese, or sometimes even soft mozzarella. I like to add spinach, arugula or even romaine as a finishing touch. Sometimes I add diced tomatoes, and the onions can be sautéed along with the carrots and zucchini. Serve warm or at room temperature. Be creative and enjoy!
- fusilli or other short pasta - 1 lb
- olive oil - 4 tbsp, divided
- carrot - 1 large, julienned
- zucchini - 1 large, julienned
- red onion - 1/2 small, thinly sliced
- fresh goat cheese or feta cheese - 3/4 cup, crumbled
- arugula or fresh baby spinach - 1 large handful
- red wine vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- coarse ground salt and pepper - to taste
- dried cranberries - for sprinkling, optional
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Add the carrots and zucchini (and onion if desired) and sauté lightly, just until softened. Drain pasta and rinse under cold water. In a large bowl, toss pasta with sautéed veggies, onion if preferred left raw, and cheese.
3. Make dressing in a bowl: whisk together oil, vinegar and mustard, and season with salt and pepper. To serve, toss pasta mixture with dressing, arugula and onion. Add dried cranberries if using.