It was one of those days when a quiet Shabbos lunch for four turned into a lebedike Shabbos lunch for fourteen. In a flash, we created this salad which has now become a family favourite! During the 9 days it makes a wonderful light lunch salad.
- smoked salmon bits - 16 oz (or slices of smoked salmon ribboned)
- red onions - 2 (peeled and sliced really thin)
- fresh asparagus - 8-10 oz (chopped and cleaned properly)
- flat-leaf parsely - handful of fresh (or fresh cilantro), chopped
- Schug - 1-2 tbsp, depending on how hot you like it. (Schug is a mix of chopped green chilli and parsely)
- capers - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Italian salad dressing - 2 cups (your favourite ready made)
- ground black pepper - to taste
Blanche asparagus (cover in boiling water and allow to stand for about 30 seconds - then place straight in to cold water)
Place onions, asparagus (sliced into 1 inch pieces), flat-leaf parsley/cilantro, schoog (start with 1 Tbsp and check for taste), and capers into a bowl.
Add salad dressing, mix well, add ground black pepper and just before serving, add smoked salmon. Give it a good stir.