A hearty soup that every true balabusta must have in her arsenal. It’s filling, rich in flavor, and downright delicious.
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- onion - 1 large, diced
- carrot - 1 large, diced
- celery stalk - 1 large, sliced thinly
- garlic - 1 clove, crushed
- water - 7 cups
- salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- oregano - 1/2 tsp
- basil - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - to taste
- beef bullion powder - 1 tbsp
- zucchini - 1 medium, diced
- diced tomatoes - 1 15-oz can (I used the rosemary and oregano flavored variety)
- elbow macaroni - 1/4 cup (or orzo, I used brown rice pasta and it was fantastic)
- frozen spinach - 5 oz, defrosted
- red kidney beans - 1 (15-oz) can, drained
- small white beans - 1 (10-oz) can, drained
In a 6-quart pot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until lightly browned (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally
Add water, salt, oregano, basil, pepper, and beef bullion. Raise heat and add zucchini and diced tomatoes with liquid. Bring to a boil. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add macaroni, spinach, and beans. Cook for an additional 15 minutes until the macaroni is very tender.