This tangy slaw is the ideal foil for the richness of the roast chicken. Even more fantastic, it actually benefits from sitting overnight, allowing the fennel and other ingredients to nuzzle into the acidic vinaigrette. If you do plan on making it the night before, be sure to only add the apple right before serving to avoid it from turning brown. And don’t be tempted to skimp on the tarragon out of some notion that this assertive herb might be too much in combination with the anise flavour of the fennel. Oh, contraire!! The tarragon is a friendly and beautiful accompaniment to the fennel, smoothing out its distinctive flavour.
- fennel bulb - 1, thinly sliced or shaved
- red onion - 1, very thinly sliced
- radishes - 1 cup, julienned
- apple - 1 firm crisp, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- apple cider vinegar - 2 tbsp
- fresh tarragon - 2 tbsp chopped
- lemon juice - 2 tsp fresh
- honey - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/4 tsp
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/4 cup
In a large serving bowl, gently toss together the fennel, onion, radishes and apple.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together vinegar, tarragon, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil in a thin stream until dressing is emulsified. Pour over slaw, tossing gently until well coated.