This is an easy dinner idea that your kids can make. “Smashed” potatoes are an all-time favorite in my house with all ages, and the sausages make it extra yummy, as well as a one-dish meal, which is always Mom’s favorite. Here I used sausages, but regular hot dogs work as well.
- baby potatoes - 2 lbs, washed
- oil - for greasing pan, plus more for drizzling
- kosher salt - for sprinkling
- fresh black pepper - for sprinkling
- dried rosemary - for sprinkling
- spicy sausages - 1 pkg - or kielbasa or hot dogs, sliced
Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet that has been rubbed with oil. Cover well and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove tray from oven and uncover. Increase oven heat to 400F (200C). Using the back of a glass, smash the potatoes just so that they crack, but are not too flat. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Roast uncovered for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are becoming crispy. Add the sliced sausages and mix. Roast for 6–8 minutes more, until sausages start crisping slightly.