(Adapted from Healthy Helpings by Norene Gilletz (Whitecap)
These are a chocoholic's delight. For a lower calorie version, make Rice Krispie Chewies (below).
-Visit Norene's website Gourmania.com for more great recipes!
- unsweetened cocoa - 1/2 cup
- icing sugar - 2 cups
- flour - 2 tbsp
- egg whites - 3
- vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- granola cereal - 1 3/4 cup
- almonds or walnuts - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine cocoa, icing sugar and flour. Blend in egg whites on low speed. Increase to high speed and beat 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in vanilla, cereal and nuts.
3. Drop mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Press tops slightly with the bottom of a small glass to flatten.
4. Bake on middle rack for about 15 minutes, until set and crispy.
5. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Note: These can be frozen.
Rice Krispie Chewies: Substitute 2 cups rice krispie cereal for granola.