- butter or margarine - 1/2 cup, unsalted
- unsweetened chocolate - 2 oz, chopped
- eggs - 2 large
- sugar - 1 cup
- flour - 1/2 cup
- peppermint extract - 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- salt - pinch
- pecans - 1/2 cup chopped
- Mint Layer Topping:
- confectioner's sugar - 1 sifted cup
- milk - 1 tbsp (or non-dairy substitute)
- peppermint extract - 1/4 tsp
- green food coloring - 1-2 drops, optional
- Chocolate Topping:
- butter or margarine - 4 tbsp, room temp
- semisweet chocolate - 4 oz, chopped
Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 baking pan. Stir butter and chocolate in small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Set aside. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add chocolate mixture, flour, peppermint and vanilla extracts and salt; stir until just blended. Mix in nuts.
Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
Beat powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, milk and extract in bowl until creamy. Spread over warm brownies. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
Stir chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Pour over mint topping, spreading evenly. Cover and chill until set, about 1 hour. Cut into 20 squares. Cover with foil; store at room temperature.
*adapted from Bon Appetit, August 1997