I love this recipe. It's really simple, practical and delicious. Children of all ages , including the young at heart, will enjoy this leftover challah creation. Make sure that you are using challah that has remained pareve as this recipe includes dairy ingredients.
- eggs - 3
- milk - 3 cups
- sugar - 1 cup
- cottage cheese - 1 (1 lb) container
- american cheese - 12 slices, cut into small pieces
- butter - 2 tbsp, melted
- bread or challah - thinly sliced
- apples - 4-5, thinly sliced (I like to keep them unpeeled)
- cinnamon - to taste
- For Sprinkling:
- cinnamon -
- brown sugar -
- In a blender or hand mixer, mix together eggs, milk, sugar, cottage cheese, American cheese and melted butter.
- In a 9” x 13” pan, arrange half of the slices of bread at the bottom of the pan.
- Spread sliced apples over the bread & sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Arrange remaining half of sliced bread on top of the apples.
- Pour cheese mixture on top of the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon and/or brown sugar on top.
- Let it soak for 2 hours, in or out of the fridge.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes or until done.
Tip: you can substitute the white challah for whole wheat or whole grain challah for a healthier alternative.