This simple butter cream frosting is a fantastic way to dress up simple cupcakes. You
- confection sugar - 4 cup
- Butter - 250 g. at room temperature
- milk - 3 tbsp
- extract of your choice - 1 tsp
- Food colouring -
1. Whip the butter with the sugar in the bowl of a electric mixer fitted with the beater attachment. Beat until combine and add milk and extract. Beat until an even consistency is reached (you may add a bit more sugar if the mixture is too soft) Add just a bit of food colouring (see note) and mix again until well blended. Place into a disposable or reusable piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe around the circumference of the cupcake and continue the circular motion getting small and smaller until a point is reached. You may refrigerate but serve at room temp. To make colour sugar, simply mix a dab of food colouring with course sugar and mix well. Sprinkle over top.
2. For sugared flowers, mix an egg white with a few drops of water and paint into edible flowers. Sprinkle the wet flowers with sugar and set aside to dry. Garnish as desired.
3. NOTE: Only a tiny bit of food coloring is necessary when using the gel type. Use a toothpick to add very small amounts. You can always add, but you cant take away!