- 12 medium potatoes -
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey -
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste, divided -
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic -
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, or turmeric -
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper -
- 2 tablespoons canola oil -
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled, then peeled and sliced -
Boil potatoes with skins until cooked; set aside.
Saute meat in pan and add 1 teaspoon salt and garlic. Peel potatoes and
mash in bowl, adding saffron, salt, pepper and oil.
In greased 9-inch-by-11-inch pan with sides, create layers approximately
1/4 inch thick: First, pat down a layer of mashed potato, cover with
ground meat, add slices of eggs, create another layer of mashed potato
on top and repeat from the beginning, creating 2 to 3 layers of each.
The top layer should be potato.
Put pan into oven and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Then broil for
5 minutes to make the top potato layer crisp.