The recipe below is a base recipe you can use with with different variations that creates chewy and flavorful desserts!
- sugar - 1 cup
- large egg - 1
- vegetable oil - 1/2 cup, plus extra for greasing pan
- ground almonds - 1 3/4 cups (without skins, buy ground or grind in food processor)
- potato starch - 3 tablespoons
- whole almonds - 3/4 cup , skin on, roughly chopped
- walnut halves - 2/3 cup, chopped
- dried apricots - 3/4 cup, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- dried cranberries - 3/4 cup (or raisins)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 X 13-inch pan, press in a piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom and go up the sides. Grease the top and sides of the parchment. Set aside.
Place the sugar, eggs, and oil into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add the ground almonds and potato starch and mix well. Knead in the fried fruit and nuts until distributed throughout the dough. Press into the prepared pan as evenly as possible. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Let cool and then lift the bar out of the pan. Slice into rectangular or square bars. Store in an airtight container or freezer bag as room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze.