This tastes very similar to stuffed cabbage with minimal work. You can serve over rice or pasta, or as is. It
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup ketchup -
- 4 oz (100 gram) tomato paste -
- 2 cups water -
- 1/2 cup apricot jam -
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice -
- onion powder and salt to taste -
- 1-2 cloves crushed garlic, or garlic powder to taste -
- 1 bag (400 gram/14 oz) shredded cabbage -
- Meatball Mixture
- 2 lbs (1 kilo) chopped meat, turkey, or chicken -
- 2 eggs -
- 1 onion chopped, optional (sauté if desired) -
- 1/3 cup matzo meal mixed into ½ cup water (make a paste) -
- 1/2 tsp salt -
Combine all sauce ingredients in Crock-Pot and bring to a boil on High. Add shredded cabbage. While sauce is boiling prepare meatball mixture. Form into balls and drop into the boiling sauce. Cook on Low for 5-6 hours or until ready.
* I tested this with breadcrumbs (and no water) instead of the matzo meal and it came out delicious as well. It’s your choice.
Note: All Crock-Pots have different settings and operating features. Please adjust cooking times accordingly.
Tip: Both of the above recipes freeze well. You might want to double the recipe so you have really good nutritious meals for Erev Pesach.
Expert Tip: When making chicken or turkey meatballs or burgers, try to chill the shaped mixture a couple of hours before cooking. They will hold together better and you can use less matzo meal. You can do this the night before.
Readers corner: Re flaxseed bread from # 129: Shani A tried the recipe with 1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds and just 1/4 ground flaxseed and found it more flavorful. Thanks!