- 1 onion, chopped -
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef -
- 1 (16-ounce) bag shredded cole slaw cabbage -
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes -
- 2 cups tomato sauce -
- 3 cups water -
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar -
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed -
- 1/4 cup white sugar -
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon kosher salt -
In a stockpot brown the onion and beef together then pour off the excess fat. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce, water, lemon juice, vinegar and the white and brown sugar. Bring the soup to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and skim off any excess foam that may occur. Cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes or up to an hour.
Can be made a day or two ahead of when you want to serve it.
Do not freeze.