My grandmother was the best cook I ever met. In true Polish tradition, her recipes were never very exact.
1. Combine onions and water in a wide saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
2. Add salt and sugar and stir well, then add salmon.
3. Cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add lemon juice, bay leaves, and peppercorns, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Donâ€™t overcook, or the fish will fall apart.
1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process into a paste. Chill. The mixture will firm as it chills.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, March 2012.Â Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.