My mother and I have become known for this cookie. People tell me that when they see this cookie at a kiddush, they knew they
- 1½ cups flour -
- 1/2 tsp baking powder -
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds -
- 1/4 tsp salt -
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon -
- 3/4 margarine, softened -
- 2 egg yolks -
- 1 tsp vanilla extract -
- 1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam -
- confectioners’ sugar -
- slivered almonds -
1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, almonds, salt, and cinnamon with a fork. Cream margarine and sugar in a mixer. Add dry ingredients. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract and beat at medium speed until just combined. Don’t overmix.
2. Roll dough into 1-inch (2.5-cm) balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. With your fingers, reshape the cookie into a round cookie shape, and make an indent with your index finger in the middle of the cookie.
3. Bake for 20–22 minutes, or until just golden brown at edges.
4. When the cookies are cool, sift confectioners’ sugar on top. Using a teaspoon, place a spoonful of jam in the center of each cookie. Place three almond slivers in the center as shown in the picture.
Tip: For added flavor, add 1 tsp of grated lemon peel to the jam before filling the cookies.
Note: These cookies freeze beautifully, with or without the garnish.