Great as an appetizer over rice, these mini meatballs have a marvelous tropical sauce. Because they
- 1/2 lb (680 g) ground beef -
- 1/2 small onion, grated -
- 1/4 cup matzoh meal -
- 1 medium potato, grated -
- 1 egg -
- 1/4 cup water -
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger -
- 1 tsp salt -
- 1 Tbsp olive oil -
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch -
- 1/2 cup brown sugar -
- 1 can pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved -
- 1/3 cup vinegar -
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce -
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper -
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients. Shape mixture into walnut-sized balls. Place meatballs on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over a medium flame, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar, reserved pineapple juice, vinegar, and soy sauce. Mix until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils, about 5 minutes. Stir in the green pepper and pineapple chunks. Heat through. To serve, pour sauce over meatballs.
This recipe originally appeared in Mishpacha Magazine.