- 1 1/2 lb of ground meat (your choice of beef or ground chicken or turkey). -
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs -
- 1 egg -
- 1/4 cup of water or soy milk -
- 1 teaspoon of salt -
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder -
- ground black pepper to taste. -
- 1/2 cup oil -
- 1/2 cup of chopped red bell pepper. -
- 1 onion, diced -
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic -
- 1/2 cup of green onion tops and bottoms. -
- Hot sauce to taste -
- 5 cups of water -
In a large bowl, combine the meat, breadcrumbs, egg, 1/4 cup water, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Form the mixture into small balls then roll them in the flour. Heat the oil in a large pot and then brown the meatballs on all sides. Remove meatballs from oil and saute the peppers, garlic and onions just until they are soft. Return the meatballs back to the pot, add the water and a dash or two or hot sauce.
Cook, uncovered for about 35 to 45 minutes, until the gravy thickens and the meat balls are cooked throughout.
Serve with tooth picks or over rice.
Submitted by Roger Marousse, Indianapolis, IN