This simple recipe yields a decadent treat - a candy and brittle and homey cake rolled into one. The quality of the peppermint extract really makes a difference; I tasted a rich but not too strong peppermint, with none of the artificial or toothpaste-like notes that you often taste when using other extracts.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick, 4 ounces or 113 grams) butter or margarine, melted -
- 1 cup (218 grams or 7 3/4 ounces for light; 238 grams or 8 3/8 ounces for dark) brown sugar -
- 1 large egg -
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract -
- Pinch salt -
- 1 cup (4 3/8 ounces or 125 grams) all-purpose flour -
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds -
Butter an 8×8 pan.
Mix melted butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.
Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in the slivered almonds.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle.
I always err on the side of caution with baking times — nobody ever complained about a gooey-middled cookie. Cool on rack before cutting them.
This recipe is adapted from SmittenKitchen.com.
This recipe was part of a series done using Bakto Flavors Products. To read full article and see other featured recipes using Bakto products click here.