This soup is rich and delicious. It is the best French onion soup!
- 15 onion sliced into rings -
- 1/2 cup butter (can substitute 1/2 with oil) -
- 5 Tbs. flour -
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup good red wine -
- 1/4 cup soy sauce -
- slices of bread toasted with butter and sprinkled with garlic powder -
- OR garlic flavored croutons mozzarella cheese -
In a large soup pot sautÃ© onions in butter until very soft and translucent. Stir in spices. Add flour and mix well. Add in wine, soy sauce and water to cover. Simmer at for at least 1 1/2 hours. Ladle soup into oven proof crocks. Add in bread/croutons and sprinkle with cheese. Place under broiler until cheese in brown and bubbly. Alternatively, if you do not have oven proof soup crocks or a milchig broiler,you can place cheese into the bowl and ladle the hot soup on top to melt the cheese.