These garlic scented rolls are light as a feather and a perfect accompaniment to any main course, be it chicken, pasta or beef. Try not to place them too far apart on the baking sheet or you will love the pull apart effect.!
- 1-1/3 cups warm water -
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar -
- 2 tsp dry active yeast -
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil -
- 2 tsp dry mustard -
- 1-1/2 tsp salt -
- 3-1/2 cups (approx) all purpose flour -
- 1/4 cup olive oil -
- 6 cloves garlic, minced -
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise -
1. In large bowl, sprinkle sugar over warm water. Sprinkle yeast over water. Let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
2. In bowl, stir together yeast mixture and oil. Stir in 2 cups of the flour, mustard and salt. Stir in enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Sprinkling work surface with enough extra flour to prevent sticking, knead dough for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
3. Place dough in lightly greased bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm, draft-free area for about 45 minutes or until dough is doubled in size.
4. Meanwhile, make topping. Heat oil in small skillet set over low heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until garlic is softened and mixture is very fragrant. Remove from heat. Whisk in mayonnaise. Set aside to cool.
5. Preheat oven to 375F.
6. Punch down dough. Divide dough into 12 equal sized pieces; shape each piece into a 6-inch long, thick breadstick. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing ½-inch apart. You should have two rows. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm, draft-free area for 45 minutes. Brush tops of sides of breadsticks with garlic mixture.
7. Bake in centre of preheated oven for 20 to 25 minute or until puffed and golden. Serve warm.