With a few staple ingredients, a pot and an immersion blender you're good-to-go with the "basic black dress" of soups! This easy recipe can go from comfort food to sophisticated first course with your favorite herbs and garnishes.
- 1 lb. package frozen corn -
- 1 large onion, chopped -
- oil, butter or pareve margarine -
- at least a quart of water, milk, half and half, or milk substitute -
- salt, pepper, consomme powder to taste -
- optional garnishes
- croutons, fresh thyme or savory sprigs, salted roasted sunflower kernels, a swirl of dairy or dairy substitute heavy or sour cream or yoghurt -
Saute onion in fat (even shmaltz, if you like!) till translucent, 10 minutes or so over medium high heat. It's okay of some pieces brown; more flavor! Raise heat a bit, add half the frozen corn, continue sauteing, stirring once or twice, for another five minutes. Add some of your chosen liquid and use the immersion blender to puree till smooth(ish); add rest of corn and liquid, seasoning to taste (try a dash of garlic powder or a pinch of sugar). Simmer a few minutes to blend flavors. Easily stretched for more servings with the addition of more liquid; adjust seasoning.