The perfect winter cookies. The balance is perfect. You taste the sweet ginger flavor as soon as you bite into the cookies. As you continue to chew the chocolate mixes with the ginger.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 Tb. All Purpose Flour -
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon -
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves -
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg (I used ground) -
- 1 Tb cocoa powder -
- 1/4 lb. Unsalted butter or margarine -
- 1 Tb freshly grated peeled ginger -
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar -
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses -
- 1 tsp baking soda -
- 1 1/2 tsp boiling water -
- 7 oz semi sweet chocolate chunks -
- 1/2 cup Bakto granulated ginger sugar (or 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger) -
In a bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat butter and fresh ginger on medium speed until lightened, about 4 min. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
In a small bowl dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Beat half of the flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn onto plastic wrap. Pat out to a 1 inch thicknes; seal with wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
Preaheat oven to 325F
Roll dough to 1 1/2 inch balls, place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Chill 20 min.
Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
Cookies are best the day they are made but can be stored in airtight containers at room temp for up to 5 days.
-adapted from Martha Stewart Cookies
This recipe was part of a series done using Bakto Flavors Products. To read full article and see other featured recipes using Bakto products click here.