I enjoy making this week
- 1 head of red cabbage, cored, thinly sliced, washed and dried in a salad spinner -
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped -
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced -
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil -
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced -
- 1 Tablespoon sugar -
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice -
- 1/4 cup water -
- 1 teaspoon salt -
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper -
Heat the oil in a large skillet with a lid.
Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
Add the cabbage and apples and sauté for 10 minutes.
Add the sugar, lemon juice, water and seasonings. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. The cabbage should be soft, but still toothsome. There should be very little liquid left. If too much remains, cook uncovered to let it evaporate.
Nancy Weisbrod is the Director of Culinary Education, Kashruth Council of Canada
In the coming winter months, Nancy will be offering an advanced 3 part series on the art of cooking kosher meat. She will also be organizing a three part seminar given by Rabbi Tsvi Heber called "Mashgicha@Home" which will impart the basic skills taught to a COR mashgiach that can be used in the home. To sign up for either one of these courses or for more information Nancy can be reached at email@example.com.
Nancy blogs at: www.mykosherkitchen.wordpress.com