I personally like chunky vegetable soup, but if you don
- 2 medium onions, diced -
- 2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut in chunks -
- 6 stalks celery, cut in chunks -
- 6 large carrots, cut in chunks -
- 1 pepper (any color), seeded and cut in chunks -
- 2 parsnips, cut into chunks -
- 12 cups chicken or vegetable broth -
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill (or 3 cubes or 1 Tbsp dried dill) -
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained -
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed and drained -
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste -
- 1 19-oz (540 g) can baked beans -
1. Place all cubed vegetables in the slow cooker and let cook on high for about 1 hour. Add the broth, plus more water if necessary to cover all the vegetables, along with dill, barley, red lentils, salt, and pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until vegetables are tender. If desired, you can puree at this point. Add the baked beans about 20 minutes before serving.
Tip: This soup reheats and freezes well. It will thicken when refrigerated overnight, so thin it with a little water when reheating.
Recipes by Estee Kafra, Styling by Tehila Hoberman and Amit Farber, Photorgraphy by Daniel Lailah.