These calzones truly taste like those you can buy in your local pizza shop.They
- 1 recipe pizza dough (either from your pizza shop, grocer’s freezer, or use recipe below) -
- 1 egg, beaten with a small amount of water, for egg wash -
- Vegetable-Cheese Filling -
- 1 small onion, diced -
- 2 Tbsp olive oil -
- 1 red, yellow, and green pepper, diced -
- 8 oz (225 g) mushrooms, sliced -
- 1 8-oz (225-g) package whipped cream cheese -
- 1 8-oz (225-g) package farmer cheese -
- 1 cup shredded Muenster cheese -
- 1 tsp salt -
- 1/2 tsp black pepper -
- Pizza Dough -
- 1 package (.25 ounces) active dry yeast -
- 1 cup warm water -
- 2 cups bread flour -
- 2 Tbsp olive oil -
- 1 heaping tsp kosher salt -
- 2 tsp sugar -
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a medium-sized frying pan, sauté onion in olive oil for 2 minutes.
Add peppers and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper and continue to stir for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine whipped cream cheese, farmer cheese, and shredded cheese. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sautéed vegetables from the pan to the cheese mixture and mix gently until combined.
Turn pizza dough out onto a well-floured surface. Divide into 8 equal parts. Roll out each piece of dough into a circle. Place 2 heaping Tbsp of filling in the center of the dough. Fold the dough in half. To seal the edges, place your thumb underneath the dough and your pointer finger next to it. Lift the dough from the bottom and roll the dough toward the pointer finger. Once sealed, repeat the motion from left to right until the entire calzone is sealed.
Place calzones on a parchment-paper-lined cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 20–30 minutes.
For Pizza Dough:
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and allow to sit 10 minutes until it becomes creamy. In a large bowl (or electric mixer) combine bread flour, olive oil, salt, sugar, and yeast mixture. Mix well until a stiff dough is formed. Cover dough and allow to rise until doubled in volume.