This is a really tasty soup.. There is a little preparation and a lot of ingredients but its well worth it.
- 2 tblsps dried porcini mushrooms -
- 2 tblsp canola oil -
- 1 large onion chopped -
- 2 ribs celery diced with leaves -
- 2 tblsp parsely chopped -
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and sliced -
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped -
- 1 lb fresh baby bella mushroom or shitake mushrooms sliced or 1/2 lb of each -
- 1 tablespoon flour -
- 2 quarts of vegetable broth (Manischewitz or Imagine broth in the cardboard containers) -
- 2 cups water -
- 1 cup whole barley -
- 2 tsp salt and pepper to taste -
1. Soak dried mushrooms in enough hot water to cover for 1/2 hour. Strain through filter. Reserve water.
2. Coarsley chop the dried mushrooms Heat oil in skillet and saute the onion, celery, parsley and carrots, garlic and fres mushrooms until soft about 5 minutes. Lower heat and add flour stirring every 30 seconds for about 5 minutes till thick.
3. In a soup pot heat the broth and water. Add mushroom mixture and chopped rehydrated mushrooms 1 cup at a time to pot stirring. Turn heat to high and add reserved mushroom water and barley. Stir well and add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer covered for an hour and 15 minutes until barley is tender and soup is thickened stirring often.