Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of carrots and parsnips. I like to add fennel for a bit of originality as well.
- 1 large fennel, halved and sliced -
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch lengths* -
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut in 2-inch lengths -
- 2 1/2 cloves garlic minced -
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil -
- 2 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice -
- 2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup -
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme( or ½ tsp dried) -
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper -
- *shortcut- use 1 bag of frozen baby carrots -
1. Preheat oven to the roast setting at 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease it.
2. Place fennel, carrots, parsnips and garlic in prepared baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste; add the thyme, mix well. For best results, try and keep veggies in a single layer.
3. Roast, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Best to mix once during roasting for even browning. Serve hot or at room temperature.