This is a delicious and hearty soup, perfect for a cold winter evening. Add garlic bread and you've got a whole meal.
- 1 1/2 cup lentils -
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce -
- 2 onions, chopped -
- 3 stalks celery, chopped -
- 3 carrots, chopped -
- 1 parsnip, chopped -
- dill & parsley (wrapped in cheesecloth, optional) -
- 2 tsp salt -
- 1/4 tsp pepper -
- 4 Tbsp vegetable soup mix, moistened with water to form a paste -
- 8 oz. stew meat, cut up (optional) -
Combine all ingredients in a 5 1/2 quart pot. Fill 2/3 - 3/4 with water. Bring to a boil and let simmer on lowered flame for an hour. Note: If you don't want to use dill and parsley, for kashrus reasons, you can substitute dried oregano and thyme. The results will be the same. Enjoy!!!