A true comfortable classic!
- 1-1/2 lb baking potatoes (about 5), peeled -
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled -
- 2 small onions, peeled and quartered -
- 3 eggs -
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour -
- 3/4 tsp salt -
- 1/4 tsp pepper -
- Vegetable Oil, for frying -
1. Using box grater or in food processor using the larger shredder blade, alternately shred the potatoes, sweet potatoes and the onions. (Alternating the potatoes with the onions helps keep the potatoes from browning!!). Transfer mixture to colander. With hands, squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible – this will help keep the latkes crispy). Transfer squeezed mixture to large bowl.
2. Mix in eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes. Pour off any excess liquid.
3. In large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat until oil is very hot but not smoking. Using a 1/4 cup measure or ladle, add latke mixture to skillet, leaving about 1 inch between them. Flatten slightly. Fry for about 3 minutes, or until well browned and crisp around the edges. Flip over; fry for another 3 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towel-lined baking rack.
4. Repeat with remaining mixture, removing any bits from skillet that are too blackened and adding oil as necessary.
Make this with Baked Apple Sauce to serve alongside!