This salad is the result of a lot of playing around in the kitchen. It
- 1 bag shredded romaine lettuce -
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly -
- 1 cucumber, sliced thinly -
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced thinly -
- 1 cup black olives -
- 8 oz (225 g) breaded haloumi cheese cubes (see below) -
- Breaded Haloumi Cheese Cubes -
- 1 8-oz (225-g) block haloumi (ormozzarella) cheese -
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs -
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese -
- 1 tsp salt -
- 2 large eggs, beaten -
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil -
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce -
- 1/4 cup olive oil -
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed -
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise -
- 3 Tbsp sugar -
- 1 tsp mustard powder -
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley -
- 1 Tbsp dried chives -
In a small bowl, stir bread crumbs, grated parmesan, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Dip cheese cubes into eggs to coat completely. Allow excess to drip back into bowl. Coat cheese with bread crumb mix. Repeat process to coat the cheese completely. Lay on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Cover and freeze for 2 hours.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry cheese cubes until golden brown (about 1 minute each
side). Transfer fried cheese cubes to a plate.
Blend together dressing ingredients. Layer salad ingredients on a platter or in a large salad bowl. Add dressing. Toss and enjoy.
NOTE: Dressing can be stored up to a week in the refrigerator. Cheese cubes can be prepared up to a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.