This rich and perfumed soup is a cinch to make and can be prepared up to three days in advance. Don
- 4 heads garlic -
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped -
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil -
- 1 tsp dried thyme -
- 1/2 tsp salt -
- 1/4 tsp pepper -
- 3 shallots, finely chopped -
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock -
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Trim ends off garlic head. Place each on piece of aluminum foil large enough to fully enclose head of garlic. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil over garlic. Enclose each head with foil. Place on one side of aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
3. In large bowl, combine potatoes, 2 tablespoons of oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake in centre of preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until potatoes and garlic are tender.
4. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in saucepan set over medium heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add potatoes to saucepan. Squeeze softened garlic heads out of skins into pot, mashing into potatoes. Pour in stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
5. In batches, puree soup in food processor or blender. (Soup can be covered well and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Thin with ½ cup more stock if necessary).
This recipe is part of a delicious Chanukah Menu by Daphna Rabinovitch. Click here to see the rest!