- 1 cup whole wheat flour -
- 1 cup all purpose flour -
- 1 lb (16 oz. bag) fresh carrots, finely grated -
- 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute -
- ¾ cup canola oil -
- ¼ cup orange juice, fresh or bottled -
- 1 orange, zested (optional) -
- 4 eggs -
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice -
- 1 tsp baking powder -
- 1 tsp baking soda -
- 1 tsp vanilla extract -
- ½ tsp cinnamon -
- ½ tsp salt -
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the flours, carrots, sugar, oil, orange juice, orange zest, eggs, lemon juice, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until well combined, about 1 - 2 minutes. Pour the batter into a 12 generously greased muffin tin (or 2 greased disposable muffin tins) , filling the cups two - thirds full.
2. Bake for 22 - 25 minutes until the center tests clean with a toothpick. Do not over bake. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container for maximum freshness.