A tasty and easy way to replicate Shanghai noodles.
- 1 lb dry pasta such as spaghetti -
- 1 tablespoon oil 1 medium onion, sliced -
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks -
- 1/2 green pepper, cut into chunks -
- 1 garlic clove, chopped -
- 4 tablespoon water -
- 2 tablespoon vinegar -
- 3 tablespoon sodium reduced soy sauce -
- 2 tablespoon sugar -
- 4 tablespoon hoisin sauce -
- 2 tsp sesame oil -
Cook pasta. Drain and rinse well (do not allow them to stick!). Meanwhile, mix sauce ingredients together. Saute onion and peppers in 1 tablespoon oil until softened and wilty. Add the chopped garlic and cook briefly. Add sauce and wait for the mixture to start bubbling. Add pasta and stir until sauce is absorbed.
If not serving immediately, I find it helpful to make an additional 1/2 recipe of the sauce to pour over the noodles right before serving.