This recipe makes 3 round cakes, and I usually triple the recipe too! The cakes freeze beautifully and I serve them both as a dessert and a side dish.
- 2 lb Italian prune plums halved and pitted -
- Juice of 1 lemon -
- 1/2 cup sugar -
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds -
- 1 stick (4 oz.) margarine (trans-fat free) or butter -
- 2 cups sugar -
- 1 cup oil -
- 3 cups flour -
- 1 tbsp baking powder -
- 6 eggs -
- 1 tbsp orange juice -
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract -
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine the pitted plums, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl and let sit for 1/2 hour.
3. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with beaters, beat margarine (or butter) with the sugar until it is the texture of grainy sand. Add the oil and beat on high for 3 minutes, until pale and smooth. Lower speed and add the flour, baking powder, eggs, orange juice and lemon extract. Beat until pale and smooth, about 4 minutes.
4. Grease 3 -9 inch round pans. Add the coriander into the plum mixture and mix again to coat all the plums. Divide the batter amongst the 3 pans, press in plums cut side down, around the perimeter of the cake, then one row in and place one in the centre. The plums should be close together, but not touching each other. Bake for 55 minutes