- 1 18.25 oz box moist-style cake mix -
- 1 – 20 oz can crushed pineapple (do not drain) -
- 8 oz cream cheese substitute (such as Toffuti) -
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, in pineapple juice, completely drained -
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes -
- 1/4 cup sugar -
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 with non-stick spray or prepare liners for 18 cupcakes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix and pinapple. Be very careful to get out all the dry pockets of cake mix (when you think you’ve mixed enough, keep mixing for another two minutes). Pour into the 9x13 or divide evenly between the 18 cupcake liners (do not fill more than 2/3rds of the way full).
3. Refer to the back of the cake mix box for approximate baking times based on the size cake (or cupcakes) you are making.
Notes: do not be tempted to substitute pineapple chunks. The pieces are too big and will not break down in the time the cupcakes spend in the oven.
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium and blend with a hand mixer until combined. Spread over completely cooled cupcakes.
Notes: Just like the yogurt cupcakes, the texture on these was off-putting. Though it looked like any other cupcake when we split it in half (nice little pockets of air, moist, delicate crumb) it was actually almost mushy when you bit into it. Definitely better than the yogurt cupcakes though; my husband managed to finish one of these.